Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Sister's Barbecue Sauce


A Rerun of my very first blog post ever! :-)  It was first posted in February of 2009, but I'm not sure of the exact date now.  I had a flub on this the other day as I tried to schedule it for today, but it went ahead and posted itself because it was an already existing post.  Oops.  So, those who follow by email may be seeing this for the second time.  (Rerunning old posts is one way to keep things active here while my computer is being treated for various mysterious illnesses.)

--------------------------------

My sister altered a barbecue sauce recipe once and improved it. Last week she called me and wanted to know if I could send her the recipe since she had managed to bury her copy in their store room. I knew just how she felt since a lot of my own things are still in boxes in the garage waiting to be unpacked! Anyway, I typed it into email for her, and so it seemed like a good recipe to start with on this new venture! Hope you enjoy it. (And remember, don't be afraid to make your own adjustments to suit your taste.)



Barbecue Sauce

1 C ketchup
2 Tbl. cider vinegar
3/4 C & 1 Tbl. packed brown sugar*
2 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 C water

Combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Can be stored in fridge for 2-3 months.

*Use more or less sugar to your liking.

This sauce is good with beef, pork, and chicken. It would also be good on burgers or fried potatoes.


4 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! Thank you so much for sharing it. I pinned it and hope to make a batch soon - summer is upon us and much grilling and smoking of meat will take place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in time for Memorial Day. My other half has decided to purchase a new grill (it is electric) and I'm thinking this sauce will be awesome with the chicken and the ribs. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete