Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Cooked Oatmeal Cake

[After I’d created this post I looked at the calendar and discovered that today is National Cereal Day.  How appropriate is that?! :-) ]
I hate wasting leftovers.  I always feel like I’m throwing away money!  Here’s a great way to use leftover cooked oatmeal.  If you don’t usually have leftovers and would like to make this cake, then make some extra next time! :-)

Cooked Oatmeal Cake

1 1/2 C. cooked oatmeal
1 C. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 stick butter (1/2 C.)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1 1/3 C. flour

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat.  Mix in oatmeal.  Add and mix in soda, cinnamon and flour.  Pour into a greased 9x13 cake pan.  Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes.
-------------------------
Mom and I made this together recently with some leftover oatmeal that my husband had cooked.  He’d put in dried cherries, so we reduced to the sugar (to the amount given above) and it came out really well.  We also omitted the cinnamon and put some almond flavoring in instead.  Then at the last minute we added chocolate chips!  It was really good, and not too sweet.  We substituted white whole wheat for part of the flour as well, but I don’t remember the proportions we used.
Anyway, this is a quick and easy cake, a nice way to eat leftover oatmeal, and quite versatile!  Use it for breakfast, for coffee cake, for dessert, tea, lunches, or just for a healthier sweet snack.  Try your own variations too.  As you can see in the picture, the batch I’d made there had raisins or cranberries in the oatmeal.

9 comments:

  1. Greetings from Finland! Thanks for sharing! I had left overs and didn't want to waste it either. I think I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting! I have made cookies with leftover oatmeal before but never thought of a cake. In fact, I was looking for a link to make those said cookies to send to my mother-in-law because she didn't believe me it could be done when I mentioned doing it. :D That's how I found this site and I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you find some things here to encourage and interest you - and maybe even a few laughs. :-) My mom has made this cake for years. Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. I am excited to try this cake, I love cooked oatmeal

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good! Have you ever heard of Lazy Daisy Oatmeal Cake? We made it many times growing up, and is another recipe for a great way to use up extra cooked oatmeal, and it is delicious too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like a recipe for Lazy Daisy Oatmeal Cake! Regular Lazy Daisy Cake is one of my favorites. :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm heading toward making "good for you" food a serious hobby. The oatmeal cake is in the oven. I'll top it with whipped cream (the real kind).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed it! :-) Real whipped cream is a good addition.
      I'm sorry I didn't answer your comment sooner.

      Delete