Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Thoughts from the Past -- Strength Only God Can Give




June 8, 2008

Strength Only God Can Give

Colossians 1:11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

Not long ago, while going through a time when I was feeling quite strained in some ways, the Lord brought this verse to my attention. I "happened" to be reading Colossians 1 starting into a week when I really needed this verse. Isn't it amazing, even a luxurious comfort, to see how the Lord does this kind of thing for us? He truly is a kind and careful father. (Psalm 103:13-14)

The thing that particularly impressed me is that strengthening with all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness can only come from the Lord. There are people who are what we would call naturally strong or patient or longsuffering. But this goes beyond that. It is all patience. Wow, how tough is that? Humanly, it's impossible. And, it's all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness! This kind of strengthening can only come from God's glorious power! Human power has too many limits to produce such amazing results.

True, this is hard to live by. I don't know anyone who has this mastered completely, and some of us struggle with it much more than others. But, through our relationship to God in Christ Jesus, this kind of strength is available, and Paul was bold to request it on behalf of the Colossians. What a great thing to pray for our fellow believers, especially when they are going through a hard time. What a great thing to pray for ourselves! But, most of all, what a great and wonderful Father we have who can and will provide such miraculous ability to His own children!

1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

------------------
First published here May 2012.

2 comments:

  1. Strength only God can give - oh, my friend! How I needed this comforting encouragement tonight! Thank you for sharing this. Please remember my family and me in prayer if we come to mind. I appreciate it so much. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thankful it was a blessing to you! I needed it too right now. I'm trying to remember to pray for you all. I appreciate you prayers for us and my parents as well. ((hugs))

      Delete