Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Cooked Salad Dressing - Gramma Hoover's Recipes


 

Some time back I scanned my Gramma Hoover's recipes from her write-in cook book. I posted them eventually on a photo storage site that I use so that family could access them. I am going to share them with you as well. :-) I have not tried many of these, so just be forewarned that I don't know how some of them will turn out for you. Others have stories or are family favorites and I may mention that when I post them.

Today I'm sharing the first recipe in her book, which happens to be one for cooked salad dressing. The blank recipe book itself was given to her in 1960 according to what she wrote in the front, so these recipes are all at least that old, and most or many are older. As you can see from the picture, this particular recipe came from Better Homes and Gardens, a magazine that has been around for years. 

This recipe came to her from Ginny, and I believe this to be a fellow missionary, Ginny Stier (sp?), who was a good friend of my Gramma's.

I grew up with recipes like these where you were actually expected to know some things from your experiences of cooking. To help out a little bit, I have added a few Editor's Notes in brackets with "EN:" to let you know it's an addition.


Salad Dressing


1/4 C. sugar (or less)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. mustard
1/4 tsp. paprika
2 Tblsp. flour
4 egg yolks (or 2 eggs)
1/2 C. vinegar
1/2 C. water 
3 Tblsp. butter or salad oil

Blend sugar, salt, mustard, paprika and flour.
Add egg and beat until smooth and well-mixed.
Add vinegar and water.
Cook over hot water until thick and smooth. [EN: in a double boiler, stirring often.]
Add butter, remove from fire, and chill before using.
If salad oil is added it may be stirred in while hot or cold.
1 C. sweet or sour cream, plain or whipped may be added. 

[EN: Be sure to mix well after the additions where it isn't specifically mentioned.]


2 comments:

  1. This is interesting! I've never heard of a cooked dressing. It's amazing how many ways there are to do things. Thanks for sharing, I love the stories behind recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! If you try it out I hope it works out well for you. :-) I don't know if I ever ate it or not. I might have and not realized that it was homemade. It sounds like you could make a good honey mustard dressing with this.

      Delete