Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Sunday, May 7, 2023

Behold, I Stand and Knock - A Poem by Martha Snell Nicholson

 


Behold, I Stand and Knock


God pity all abroad tonight!
The sodden moor lies spent
Beneath the fury of the storm;
The angry skies are rent

With ragged flashes. My poor hut,
Too chill and dark and small
To shelter even one lost lamb,
But comes a knock, a call.

"Behold, I stand without and knock.
But open unto Me,
And I will come and sup with you,
And your companion be."

I looked around. There scarce was room
For me, and surely none
For guest (O heart, suppose I had
Denied that Lovely One!)

He entered in. He dwells with me.
I do not heed life's storms;
I need but turn and cling to Him
Who reassures and warms.

And all the rooms of this my heart
Are wide and warm and bright,
A banquet hall where I may sup
With Him, my Lord, my Light!

Martha Snell Nicholson

Revelation 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any
man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him,
and will sup with him, and he with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment