Hello and welcome!

This blog is a place for me to share thoughts, recipes, things I learn from my Bible, links and anything else I happen to want to post. It is in essence an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. I hope you enjoy it!
All photos used on this blog are taken by me or my family unless otherwise noted. Some photos have had special filters applied. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

National Watermelon Day

Who knew there was actually a National Watermelon Day? Isn’t that great? I guess it is for us watermelon fans. I thought I’d post a picture of the first watermelon we grew in Texas. We enjoyed it in July. As you can see from the picture, it was a “sugar baby” variety. It was very good, but there was barely enough for six people to taste! :-)

My grandmothers thought that watermelon was one of the finer foods. They both loved it! I liked it pretty well when I was younger, but I didn’t quite understand their great liking for it. One summer a few years back I suddenly discovered that I also had a strong craving for watermelon. I think I probably enjoy it now almost as much as they did! Funny how as we get older we understand our grandmothers’ and mothers’ feelings about some things more and more. :-) I’m thankful God created this amazing, juicy fruit that can be grown in such hot climates! :-) I’m also very thankful that we have not had such a bad drought this year and have been able to grow a much better garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment