Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Winter Beauty - A Poem by Albion Fellows Bacon and A Photo


Photo taken in Roane County, Tennessee circa 2006.

Winter Beauty


When I go through the meadows brown,
Where stand the tall weeds, sere and dead,
Think you I find no beauty there,
Since Summer through the fields has fled?

The edges of the frozen stream,
Whose quiet waters late were crossed
By shadows of the bending fern,
Are fair with fringes of the frost.

Wherever cowslips crowded thick,
Or banks of buttercups would be,
A host of airy forms in white,
Like ghosts of flowers returned, I see.

It may be clustered flakes of snow,
Or frozen dew still glistening there,
But still it seems as if there came
A rare, strange odor through the air.

Albion Fellows Bacon

2 comments:

  1. Winter is such a peaceful time to me...time to slow down and enjoy the moments indoors when things seem to not be so hectic. Thank you for sharing this, my friend. I do trust all is well with you and yours and that you are enjoying this beautiful Christmas season. Sending you love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. I do like the slower pace of winter, although, here in Texas things do seem to slow down a bit sometimes in the hottest times as well! Since we don't celebrate Christmas, December is really our resting month of the year in some ways. People are generally too busy with holiday things to have time for people who don't participate, so we focus on family and being quieter. :-) I look forward to it! We had my local family here this evening to just sit near the fire and talk. It was very nice!

      Delete