Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Evening Song - I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say


Matthew 11:28-30  Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.



I heard the voice of Jesus say,
“Come unto me and rest;
lay down, O weary one, lay down
your head upon my breast.”
I came to Jesus as I was,
so weary, worn, and sad;
I found in him a resting place,
and he has made me glad.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
“Behold, I freely give
the living water, thirsty one,
stoop down and drink and live.”
I came to Jesus, and I drank
of that life-giving stream;
my thirst was quenched, my soul revived,
and now I live in him.

I heard the voice of Jesus say,
“I am this dark world’s light;
look unto me; your morn shall rise,
and all your day be bright.”
I looked to Jesus, and I found
in him my star, my sun;
and in that light of life I’ll walk
till traveling days are done.

- Horatius Bonar

2 comments:

  1. This is a new tune to me - anyone know the composer? Source? I've always sung it to the folk tune "Drink to me Only With Thine Eyes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the title it says that the tune is "Kingsfold." Here is a link to print a PDF of the tune at Hymnary.org:
      https://hymnary.org/media/fetch/139344
      I found this at:
      https://hymnary.org/tune/kingsfold_english

      I did not play this to make sure it was the same tune, so hopefully it is. :-)

      Delete