Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Benefits of Fewer Toys for Children


1 Timothy 6:6-8 But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. 



We don't have kids, but as I've looked sometimes at the possessions of other people's children, I've felt that there was a serious problem with how many toys they own. This video makes a lot of sense to me. I had quite a bit as a kid, from my perspective, but compared to some kids now my family didn't have a lot and we were told "no" on a regular basis. We were also encouraged to think long term as we got older. We were told to think about saving for something more expensive rather than spending our little money on cheap junk. We were encouraged to ask for gifts that would last us into our teens and possibly beyond rather than age-limited play toys.  That might be something you could add to your thoughts, if you haven't already. 

And kudos for the point about parents dealing with their own clutter first. The best way to lead is by example. Child hearts need a leader, not someone who just wants to throw out their stuff because they're in charge. My grandmother was pretty much scarred for life by parents who threw away all her stuff except one doll every time they moved - and they moved often.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a minimalist, but I do believe that whatever you have needs to have a purpose. I try to teach my kids this as well. We don't have a lot but I encourage them to do real things and not just play with toys. Spending time together and out in nature and encouraging creativity is so important for healthy bodies and minds. Knowing that God created them for much more then just entertaining themselves, even from a young age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Reminds me of some of my parents goals as we were growing up. :-)

      I'm definitely not a minimalist, but I believe there are things we can learn from those who are willing to live with so much less. It does make me reconsider things myself and I am wanting to make some changes in my own things and life.

      Delete