Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Is It Our Christian Duty to Wear A Mask?

 
This article has not been easy to write. It is one that I have been hesitating over for awhile. I have tried to be reasonably straightforward without being too harsh. Please know that I have tried to restrain my feelings quite a bit in order to hopefully make this more useful. This is a subject which I'm actually feel very deeply because it affects so many of us in ways that it ought not. I have seen few, if any, churches that take this seriously and require masks for services regardless of what the local laws say. This makes me sad because it keeps some of us from the fellowship of the believers that we otherwise might enjoy. Please prayerfully consider what I have to say.

-----------------------------------------

Galatians 6:10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

In the book of Genesis after Cain killed his brother Abel, we read, "And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?" Genesis 4:9 In verse 10 the Lord answers him, "...What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground."

One of the outstanding and well known facets of Christianity is that we are supposed to be our brother's keeper. In addition, we are meant to do good to those who are not even of the household of faith. That was the point of the story of the Good Samaritan, wasn't it? And yet, we hear people regularly making excuse for disregarding the basic kindnesses that will help to stop the spread of a terrible sickness. Worse, there are too many who are denying the seriousness of it, mocking those who do the responsible thing, and even claiming that COVID-19 is a hoax and doesn't exist. (Some of those people are ending up in the hospital now terribly sick and confused how it could happen to them since it wasn't even "real." Yeah, true story.)

The thing that eats at me and gives me grief is how people who profess to love God and His word have strayed so far from it in the matter of basic Christian love and kindness. I know, you have your rights - maybe your "American rights" - to do what you want to do and no government can stop you. But what if Someone higher than the national or local government has spoken to this issue? Because He has, and it is dumbfounding how quickly and completely so many have turned their backs on Him and sought their own way and will (Prv. 14:12).

Continue Reading.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mary. I appreciate your honesty and compassion towards others. Our church does require masks. The pastor said the counsel discussed and prayed a lot about it and felt for the good of everyone there and for the community, they needed to start requiring it. He pleaded with the people, even if they don't agree with each other, to accept each other's differences and love one another. We still don't go but watch the live service online as I'm more vulnerable having lung disease. We are grateful the church decided to keep up with a live service even after meeting in church again. I admire your courage to speak up in the midst of so much division. Yes it's about love and kindness, not our rights to do whatever we want to without regard for others. So thank you. Love and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Trudy, for your kind comment. I'm so glad to hear of a church that is requiring masks for services. Thank God for that. I'm thankful that you were encouraged through this article.

      Delete