Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Thursday, December 9, 2021

Loquat Jam



My family got ahold of some loquats when we lived in Arizona years back and we made some jam with them. I remember them smelling something like Fruit Stripe gum when they were fresh, but the jam had a different taste to it. Most boxes of pectin in the U.S. will probably not include instruction for loquat jam, so here is a recipe to help you make it if you happen to have a source for them. Follow the canning instruction that comes with your pectin. I do not remember where this recipe came from.

Loquat Jam

5 cups loquats
1 box fruit pectin
7 cups sugar

Wash fruit well. Cut off both ends and remove seeds if desired. Place fruit in a saucepan with a small amount of water. Cook slowly and mash with a potato masher occasionally until well done. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

Add the pectin to the fruit and stir well. Let the mixture come to a rolling boil stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Add sugar and boil to a rolling boil for 1 minute.

At this point you will be putting it into jars or containers for storage. If you are canning be sure to have your hot, sterilized jars and lids ready before the jam reaches this stage and then can it according to the usual procedure. 


2 comments:

  1. That's interesting! I've never heard of this fruit before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure where my parents first became acquainted with loquats. It might have been in East Africa. When my family lived in southern Arizona we ran across some and they knew what to do with them. We used them to make something that was between a jam and preserves - or even a sauce. My recollection of them is that they smelled like Juicy Fruit gum when they were fresh. :-) I don't really remember the taste of them fresh. The jam was just kind of fruity tasting. I would compare it to some homemade apricot sauce I've had.

      Delete