Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Friday, January 8, 2016

Card Making: Save the Used Christmas Cards


I like card making.  I haven't done nearly enough of it for a long time now, so this year I want to try to get back to it.  It is very enjoyable and refreshes my creativity, I think. :-)  Plus, they don't have to take very long and when you're done you have a handmade card to give someone.

Since we're just past the holiday season, I wanted to talk about recycling holiday cards into other greeting cards.  Even those of us who don't celebrate Christmas sometimes receive cards that are recyclable, so this applies to everyone.

First of all, check the envelope. Sometimes they are lined with really nice gold or metallic paper that can be used to cut out smaller pieces.  Also check both the envelope and the card for background prints that could be used for another purpose.  Then notice if there are features, parts of or whole pictures that you can cut out which won't be necessarily "Christmassy".



The card above is one that I made by cutting out just one section of a Christmas card and an edge.  I trimmed along the graphic to give it the flowing look and then added a strip from the edge of the card. Finally, I added hand drawn art work that would compliment the recycled graphic.  This card made a nice winter birthday card (and it was one of my favorites, too, I might add).



This card was made from a Christmas card also, as far as I can recall.  I cut out the picture of the pine trees and added it to a blue card.  The decoration along the bottom was made by cutting white paper or velum on both edges with decorative scissors.  As you can see I had a little trouble with it, but this is a recycle project, and isn't about being perfect. :-)  You can make different looks depending on where you place the scissors as you start to cut.



I also made the snow sparkle by "painting" glitter glue on just the snow areas of the picture, which you can see better in this picture.

One thing I do recommend when making cards from recycled photos is that you write on the back that it is a "recycled design."  This way people will know that you are using someone else's photography. I'd also be careful about reselling things like this.  It would be good to check about laws and rules relating to copyright before selling much like that. :-)  I'm not familiar with such things myself as I never sell my cards - so far.



6 comments:

  1. Wow, that first card is so beautiful. They all are. But that looks so good what you have done. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love using old cards for this very reason :) Wouldn't it be grand to enjoy a day of card making together?

    Your cards look lovely, dear friend, and I especially like the first one. Thank you for sharing your sweet creativity with Roses of Inspiration. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie. It would be great to make cards together! :-)
      Have a great day.

      Delete
  3. I agree, those cards look fabulous.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete