Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Sunday, December 17, 2017

The Judgment Seat of Christ - A Poem by Martha Snell Nicholson




2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. 

The Judgment Seat of Christ


Swiftly and surely comes the day
When I shall keep a tryst.
The focal point of all my life --
The judgment seat of Christ.

Shall I approach that throne with dread,
With fear and stark dismay?
What will confront me, what be read
About me on that day?

I shall not stand a prisoner
Who waits with bated breath
To bear the sentence of the Judge,
If it be life or death --

All this was settled long ago.
But rather I shall stand
A servant, waiting judgment on
The work of heart and hand;

Those works in which my soul took pride
May there be judged as hay
And burned as chaff and stubble on
That all-revealing day.

Oh may there be some little deed,
Some word for Him I said;
Some work the SPIRIT energized,
Some earnest prayer I prayed;

Something entirely free from self,
Or hope of gain, or pride.
Works done for love of Him alone --
These only shall abide.

How would I feel if I should have
No crown of gold to give,
To lay before the feet of Him
Who died that I might live?

May I live my remaining days
Remembering that tryst
Which I must keep with Him before
The judgment seat of Christ!

- by Martha Snell Nicholson



1 Corinthians 3:11-15 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment