Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Random Thoughts On A Very Blowy Night


Pink roses are one of my favorite flowers.

The wind is strong and blustery this night (Jan. 15). The house has been sometimes creaking and there are occasional rumbles around the roof as I begin this. Tonight the weather is supposed to change from the mild and pleasant day we had earlier to a "wintery mix" - snow or rain or sleet or ice or all of them. Cold temperatures at any rate. The sort of thing one expects of January in many places, but not always in central Texas.

I thought I would put together some random things tonight, which you will read tomorrow - which will be today by then. :-)

----------------

Here is the best poem I've read lately in my searching around for poems.

Blue Winter

Winter uses all the blues there are.
One shade of blue for water, one for ice,
Another blue for shadows over snow.
The clear or cloudy sky uses blue twice-
Both different blues. And hills row after row
Are colored blue according to how far.
You know the bluejay's double-blur device
Shows best when there are no green leaves to show.
And Sirius is a winterbluegreen star.

by Robert Francis

----------------

Here is a random thing from my large collection of things I might use "someday."

This is a riddle. Can you guess what it is? :-)

"Old Mother Twitchett had but one eye,
And a long tail which she let fly;
And every time she went through a gap,
A bit of her tail she left in a trap."

----------------

The best things that have happened to me so far this year:

Making it to church meeting two Sundays in a row. (We go in the evenings only since I can't make the trip twice in one day and the evening service offers more opportunities for fellowship afterwards since people aren't rushing off to find their dinners.)

Spending time with my husband, because I did marry my best friend!  (Yes, I don't think a whole lot of some recent posts on various sites proposing that we shouldn't marry our best friend. haha. Maybe I'll write more on that later.)

Being well enough to make my mother the birthday dinner she requested on her birthday - New Year's day. It was a big deal after being pretty much sick for three weeks in December. It was also a big deal because my mom turned 75 that day! How in the world did she make it that far already?! Thank the Lord she is still with us, though, and in reasonably good health! :-)

Sitting in the sun in our living room while listening to an audio book, often coloring or drawing. So quiet and peaceful.

----------------

Here is a random photo from the past. This is my great-grandmother's kitchen in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Last I knew the house was still standing and being used for an office. It has not been lived in for a very long time.


Her stove is on the left, then the cabinet with the sink. On the right is the corner of a kitchen table. Check out that crazy tile design. I'm sure some people would love that. I wonder what colors it had. I think it would make me dizzy. :-)

----------------

A verse I read recently that I especially like:

Luke 15:20 And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. 

I have liked this verse from the story of the prodigal son for a long time. The main reason is because the father saw him while he was still "a great way off" and ran to meet him. That means the father was watching, keeping an eye out for the return of his wayward child. So it is with the Lord, who is typified by the father. He is watching for those who are wandering from Him and He will see us and run to meet us and welcome us back when we make any effort to return and be restored to fellowship with Him. This is very comforting and precious.

----------------

A poem from my collection of Christian poems:

THE DIFFERENCE

I need not bear my little cross alone,
I draw upon the riches of His grace;
But when my SAVIOUR hung upon HIS Cross
In agony, God turned away His face!

by Martha Snell Nicholson

----------------

And so good night, or good morning, or good afternoon - whenever you are reading this. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment