Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Letters to My Friend - Of Grief and Earthly Treasures




I have started a new section at The Home Maker's Corner called "Letters to My Friend". I hope that writing in a letter format will prove to be useful. The first one went up today. It deals with the grief and struggle of dealing with dementia in my mother - in this case, the matter of getting rid of some of her things.

-------------------

Dear Friend,

My mother has dementia. It is a difficult thing to deal with as it progresses. Due to my dad being in the hospital two nights in January it was necessary for me to help her with dressing and taking care of her personal needs twice a day. I realized that her clothing situation was in disarray. Things were rather jumbled and she was not seeing things that she would wear and she was being confused by many things that she either couldn't wear or that were difficult for her to put on herself.

Continue Reading.

2 comments:

  1. A very personal and thought provoking letter. I know the feelings of letting go. I still have one of my mother's lovely little suits. It's so hard to let it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. We did save a few things, but it's hard to let go of clothing that my mother wore when we had so many lovely times together. But, I have to remember that none of this can go with either of us to heaven, and we wouldn't want it there if it did! :-)

      Since my husband and I don't have children of our own I have been thinking more about all the stuff we have and what will actually happen to it when we're gone. It's sobering and also makes me realize that there's a lot that could go now and never be missed much by anyone - including me. I've written and thought about these things before, but it was time to start working on them again.

      Thank you for reading and commenting. :-)

      Delete