Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Thoughts About Church Meetings and Behavior In the Midst of the Present Distress




This is a difficult time to write or post thoughts for me. This year has already been one of loss and sadness for me and my family, especially as my mother went Home to Heaven on March 5th. I don't feel like I have a lot in me at present to deal with this corona virus situation, and I especially am not interested in getting into debates with people who don't agree with our perspective. I don't have energy nor desire to engage in that way at all. I don't even have the energy emotionally at this point to engage much with those who do agree. :-)

Having said all that, I did write something to post today, but I didn't finish it and was wondering what I should put up. Some things came to my attention today.

I thought I'd start here:

There has been some chatter in various quarters about how the government has no right to close down churches for this present epidemic. Some people have tried to pose this as if it were persecution or a conspiracy to bring in martial law. Some have suggested that not meeting in the manner which we have come to accept as "normal" - in a church building on Sunday morning, evening, and Wednesday night - falls under the category of "forsaking the assembling of yourselves together." This is taken from Hebrews 10:24-25:  And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. 

First of all, this is not persecution. The bars/pubs, night clubs, fairs, amusement parks, sporting events, schools, restaurants, and so forth have all been closed too in most places that have closures. Churches have not been singled out. We are still permitted to preach the gospel and edify the saints through alternate mediums, whether online, in small groups or in a more socially distanced manner (drive-in churches, etc.)

Secondly, the verse in Hebrews is not talking about meeting in a church building specifically, nor is it talking about moving meetings or canceling meetings temporarily for a period of time. My understanding of "forsaking" is that it means to quit or abandon, to leave entirely, to depart from (Source). This is not what the compliant churches are doing. They are moving the meetings or services online, to small groups or to an open air environment (in some places). They are not "quitting on God," to use a cliche. They are not walking away from the gathering of believers for edification and instruction and saying they aren't coming back, or making continuous life choices that show that they have no desire to be with the saints. Suggesting such is neither kind nor charitable.

To perhaps clarify some points, here is a video that is helpful in explaining what is going on in the USA with this situation. It is not a "new thing," although it is strange to us. One clarification: When he says at the end of WW2 he meant WW1. He made that correction in the comments if you look at the video over at YouTube.



I do not know this pastor or much about him or his ministry, but what he says addresses some important points very well.

It's especially important to note the details relating to the Spanish flu pandemic in 1918-1919. I "happened" to watch a couple videos on that last fall/winter, and the numbers from that event were dumbfounding. We don't want to see that happen again in even a smaller proportion to our modern populations. We need to follow the mandates and directives to avoid people contact and going out more than is absolutely necessary. This is for the good of the public health. I am especially concerned for the healthcare providers and hospitals and the effects this could have on those services.

It will have an economic effect on nations, but thousands of deaths are worse than loss of money in the big picture, and that's something we need to consider carefully. Some Christians may have to decide how pro-life they actually are. Is economic security and prosperity more important to you than the lives of people? Don't answer that carelessly. Stop and think! Ask yourself what God's view would be. Does God value people more than money?

1 Peter 1:18-19 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 

Next:

For your edification, to help you think about how we should live in this time as far as our interactions with believers and our actions, speech, and attitudes, here is a thought provoking message from scripture from our pastor. There has been too much high feeling and careless talk on social media between people who should be showing each other the love of Christ. We don't need to be experts or authorities. We don't even need to be "right." But, we do need to be honorable and Christ-like in how we behave ourselves, all of the time but, especially now.



1 Peter 3:8-11 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous: Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing. For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile: Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it. 

And, of course, it wouldn't seem quite right to make a post like this and not include an appropriate poem. :-) So:


BUT GOD


I know not, but God knows;
Oh, blessed rest from fear!
All my unfolding days
To Him are plain and clear.

Each anxious, puzzled "Why?"
From doubt or dread that grows,
Finds answer in this thought;
I know not, but He knows.

I cannot, but God can;
Oh, balm for all my care!
The burden that I drop
His hand will lift and bear,

Though eagle pinions tire --
I walk where once I ran --
This is my strength, to know
I cannot, but God can.

I see not, but God sees;
Oh, all-sufficient light!
My dark and hidden way
To Him is always bright.

My strained and peering eyes
May close in restful ease,
And I in peace may sleep;
I see not, but He sees.

by Annie Johnson Flint

Psalm 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.   (Whether that safety is on this earth, or in heaven.)

No comments:

Post a Comment