Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Homemade Tomato Soup Tutorial - Video


Here is a tutorial for homemade tomato soup from Mary's Nest. (Although she lives in the Texas Hill Country also, I do not know this Mary.) :-)

My sister and I have made cream of tomato soup from scratch and it is really good, but this is not what this Mary is specifically making although she tells how to make this soup into cream of tomato soup at the end. Let me say this, it can be hard to get the cream to mix in nicely without curdling. There is a trick to it. So, if you want to make that I suggest looking up some instructions on how to mix in the cream with the least risk of curdling. Or, you could use sour cream or softened cream cheese to make your cream of tomato soup. Because these two products are already soured, they are less likely to give you grief. (Also, if you cream does curdle the soup is still edible, it just doesn't look as nice.)

She also talks about adding basil at the end and making this into a tomato basil soup with parmesan on it. Another yummy option you can try if you like Mexican is to add some cumin and then sprinkle it with grated cheddar and chopped black olives. This would be delicious served along side quesadillas. 

Tomato soup is a good lunch or supper staple for cold weather, but it can be good any time. If you don't want to make it and serve it the same day you can make it ahead and store it in the fridge for a few days. I am not sure if it would freeze well, but it would be easy to reheat from the fridge. If you are making cream of tomato soup I recommend waiting till you reheat it to add the cream.

Enjoy!


I have no control over ads or suggested videos.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Mary's video. She did a very detailed lesson on tomato soup. I learned some things. I am looking forward to implementing her techniques.
    It is funny that you should publish this recipe about tomato soup this week! Another blog that I follow, My Cubby Crafts, has mentioned a roasted tomato soup several times. I asked if she could share her recipe. And, she did this week, too. Now I have two tomato soup recipes to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found this useful. I'm sure Jennifer's recipe will be good too. :-)
      I need to visit some other blogs again soon. I've been having some health stuff going on and it has been kind of distracting.

      Delete