Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Friday, February 23, 2018

Sew Happy Friday - A Tutorial for Pretty Valances


Image property of sew4home.com

Here is a tutorial over at sew4home for some pretty valances with a lace inset. They also put a few rows of decorative stitching on them, but if your machine doesn't have decorative stitches, this is optional. The valances would still be very nice without them. If you do have decorative stitches on your machine and you haven't tried them out, this might the project to use one of them. :-) You could also sew on ribbon instead.

Home made valances and curtains can add a lot of color or personality to a room since you can use fabrics that would never be used in pre-manufactured types. I've made quite a few over the years. Some for myself, but also some for my siblings. In a room where there are Venetian blinds, and cheerful valance can really make in look more cheerful and homey (homely - of you're British).

Link:  Lace & Decorative Window Valances

4 comments:

  1. QUERIDA HERMANA, QUEDE FASCINADA POR SU COLCHA QUE USTED HEREDO DE SU ABUELA, ES BELLISIMA, ME ENCANTAN LOS COLORES Y CREO QUE ESTA COSIDA A MANO NO ES VERDAD? USTED TIENE UNA RELIQUIA EN SUS MANOS, QUE GRAN BENDICION. A MI ME GUSTA MUCHO LA COSTURA, CREAR COSAS CON MIS MANOS, TEJI UNA COLCHA TEJIDA AL CROCHET PARA MI CAMA MATRIMONIAL DE 2 PLAZAS, IMAGINESE TODA LA LANA QUE ME LLEVO, PERO HA QUEDADO MUY LINDA Y CALENTITA PARA LA EPOCA INVERNAL, AUNQUE AHORA ESTAMOS TODAVIA EN VERANO, LE HE USADO DESDE QUE LA TERMINE EN NOVIEMBRE, QUISIERA QUE CUANDO YA NO ESTE EN ESTA TIERRA, SEA PARA ALGUNOS DE MIS HIJOS O NIETAS QUE LE GUSTE ESTE TRABAJO ARTESANAL, TAMBIEN ME ENCANTO LA CENEFA, TEJI EN CROCHET LA CENEFA PARA LA VENTANA Y OTRA CORTINA MAS LARGA PARA LA PUERTA DE LA COCINA QUE TIENE VIDRIOS REPARTIDOS Y QUE DA AL PATIO TRASERO DE MI HOGAR. QUE BUENO SABER QUE TENEMOS LOS MISMOS GUSTOS. MUJER VIRTUOSA USTED Y YO. DIOS LE BENDIGA RICAMENTE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ana Cuneo, thank you for commenting again. Yes, the quilt (mat) is beautiful. I do not own it myself, although I would have loved to have it. It belongs now to my brother and his wife. I took the photographs before we took it to them. I hope they put it to good use.

      I was interested to learn about the things you have made as well. I learned these skills from my mother and I am thankful that she taught them to me. You and I do have some similar tastes. :-)

      Delete
  2. These are so cute, Mary. And would look great over blinds I love sewing my own curtains for the house because then I get exactly what I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I have valences I sewed in several room of our house - yes, over blinds. It adds such a fun personal touch when you can use fabric of your own choosing. :-)

      Delete