Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Thursday, November 19, 2020

Autumn Roses, A Poem, and Some Thoughts on Quietness

 



Ecclesiastes 9:17 The words of wise men are heard in quiet more than the cry of him that ruleth among fools. 

Psalm 4:4-5 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah. Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the LORD.

Isaiah 30:15 For thus saith the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength: and ye would not.

Isaiah 32:18 And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places; 
 
2 Thessalonians 3:12 Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread. 

1 Timothy 2:1-2 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 

Sometimes in a world where there is so much noise, so much talking, so much activity, so much commenting, and so very many opinions it can be hard to find quiet let alone appreciate it. We can become accustomed to the clatter and chatter and forget the value of quiet. Yet, it is spoken of a number of times in scripture as a good thing. I find it curious in these present times that so many people are resentful and angry about having to physically "sit down and be quiet" - so to speak. This is especially disappointing coming from Christians who claim to know the word of God. When we fail to value quietness, we are failing to value something that God likes, that He has spoken well of, and that He has even commanded at times and in places.

Did you ever stop to think that one of the outstanding aspects of the Kingdom of Jesus Christ on this earth and of the new heaven and new earth is that we will dwell quietly? As I consider how many Christians, especially in America, complain and chafe against living a quiet life with less excitements and external activities, I can't help but think how much they are going to have to be changed in the resurrection in order to enjoy the quiet God has in store for us. And I would say that most of us are affected by the allure of activity and the busy life to some degree. But should the thought of a quiet life be so shocking?

Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. 

What does a godly, quiet, contented life look like? How can we live a quiet life today that glorifies God and rests in His strength? How can we alter our thinking and our expectations so that we can be content with less excitement and entertainment, so that we can appreciate the enforced quietness that we find ourselves in sometimes?

Jesus! I am resting, resting
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For, by Thy transforming power,
Thou hast made me whole.

Oh, how great Thy loving kindness,
Vaster, broader than the sea:
Oh, how marvelous Thy goodness,
Lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Beloved,
Know what wealth of grace is Thine,
Know Thy certainty of promise,
And have made it mine.

Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless,
Satisfies my heart,
Satisfies its deepest longings,
Meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings,
Thine is love indeed.

Ever lift Thy face upon me,
As I work and wait for Thee;
Resting ’neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus,
Earth’s dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father’s glory,
Sunshine of my Father’s face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting,
Fill me with Thy grace.

- Jean Sophia Pigott

No comments:

Post a Comment