Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Sunday, August 27, 2023

Hard Questions - What About Vaccines?

 


Romans 14:19 Let us therefore follow
after the things which make for peace,
and things wherewith one may edify another.

 

A tremendous amount of tension and drama has surrounded the subject of vaccinations for years now, but recently it has reached a fever pitch. It is a very polarizing subject, causing splits in friendships, family relationships, Christian fellowship, and the public arena of life. It is hard to overstate the situation.

Making decisions about this issue is very complicated and not a matter to be taken lightly for many people. I’ve read, heard, and seen enough to know that there are points of legitimate contention on both sides. Yes, I did just take a moderate position. Sadly, there are people who won’t have the mental fortitude to continue reading because they are so polarized on this issue that they can’t even tolerate hearing a slightly different point of view than their own. Yes, I did just call you a wimp if you get all mad and leave without finishing reading this, but I mean it in the nicest possible sense. <smile>

Frankly, I’m more than a little tired and put out with the controversy that some Christians feel is appropriate on this issue - controversy and sinful anger in defiance of God’s word and Christian charity. And, I’m saying that to both sides, so please don’t assume I mean one or the other. I’ve seen the people who support informed choice on this issue get mostly ignored because they were moderate instead of supporting one extreme position or the other. I've also seen people who believed in informed choice take extreme positions on the "right" to choose, to the point of ignoring what the Bible actually teaches. I know that there are people on all sides of this issue who will automatically be disgusted with me before they even hear me out just because I am not “smart enough” to take their own position. This doesn’t remind me much of 1 Corinthians 13.

1 Corinthians 13:1-4 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long, and is kind...

As Christians, what should our position be? This is a tough question and one to which many people think they have an absolute answer. Most of them, however, are basing that answer on what they believe are “the facts” surrounding the issue of vaccinations rather than Biblical principles. Some also believe they are following biblical principles but they are only taking into account what supports their own presuppositions. Worst of all, some people actually base their position on nothing more than a political ideology or the say-so of their favorite "big cheese" (president, politician, doctor, pastor, movie star, sports hero, you name it.)

Let’s consider a couple questions relating to the issue, questions that might not be exactly the ones generally asked.

Continue Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment