Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Sunday, July 28, 2024

Eternity by Martha Snell Nicholson and A Short Thought

 

"Nothing short of God can satisfy your soul."  - John Wesley


ETERNITY 

I stood with God on the edge of the world, and my hand was in His hand. 

I looked down the road of the past, as it stretched away in the dim distance, till it was shrouded in the mists of time. 

And I knew it had no beginning, and a little chill wind of fear blew about my head. 

God asked, "Are you afraid?"
And I said, "Yes, because I cannot understand how there can be no beginning." 

So God said, "Let us turn and face the other way." 

And I looked into glory, and my heart rejoiced with joy unspeakable. 

And then my mind went ahead, a billion, billion years, and I knew there would be no end, and again that little chill wind of fear began to blow. 

And God asked me again, "Are you afraid?"
And I answered, "A little, because I cannot understand how there can be no end." 

So God asked me tenderly, "Are you afraid now, today, with your hand in Mine?"
And I looked up at Him and smiled and replied, "O my Father, No!" 

And God said, "Every day in eternity will be today."

by Martha Snell Nicholson

---

Did you ever stop to think that eternity without God would be scary? What good hope would we have, what righteous expectations, what peace without His presence? None, really. Man fantasizes about living forever in this present wicked world, but what comfort or joy is there in that? No, the familiar of this life only seems better because of the limitations of our imaginations. But, when we believe the promises of God and rest in His loving kindness, we can KNOW that eternity, in all its vastness, will be both good and beautiful, both righteous and peaceful. And, in that we can trust that our souls will be completely satisfied, because God is already there, and He is good and gracious and kind to us today.

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work. 

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. 

Romans 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. 

1 John 4:18-19 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. We love him, because he first loved us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment