Hello and welcome!

This blog is a place for me to share thoughts, recipes, things I learn from my Bible, links and anything else I happen to want to post. It is in essence an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. I hope you enjoy it!
All photos used on this blog are taken by me or my family unless otherwise noted. Some photos have had special filters applied. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Sew Happy Friday–Another Twist On A “Jelly Roll Race” Quilt

 

Here is another option for making a jelly roll race quilt, as they are sometimes called.  This lady did hers using up scraps from her own stash.  It gives it a much more scrappy look but, as with this one, it also allows for using a group of fabrics in many shades of the same color.  This gives it a more unified look overall, I think. 

As was mentioned on a previous post here, some people recommend cutting your extra fabric scraps into uniform sizes that are commonly used in quilt project these days – 5” charms, 10” squares, 2 1/2” strips.  This makes it easier for you later.  Whether you get out your scraps and have a cutting session, or if you cut the scraps into these sizes at the time you make your original cuts (for a quilt or clothing project), it will save you time later and make projects like this much quicker.  [Note: I recommend only cutting scraps from clothing projects made from quilt appropriate cottons.]

The music is kind of neurotic.  I like the William Tell Overture for this better. :-)

4 comments:

  1. Some day, some day I will do this! I hope :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to make one of these too. I need to have a cutting party and cut a bunch of my scraps into 2 1/2" strips. But, first I should probably un-bury my sewing room. :-P I started that today. :-)

      Delete
  2. This is really nice and I do like the colours used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like it should be a quick, fun way to get a quilt top done quickly. I've been trying to cut "pre-cut" sized pieces from my scraps when I'm cutting something out, but I need to cut a lot of my existing scraps so that these projects would go together quicker. The purple is perfect for you. :-)

      Delete