Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Christmas Challenge No. Six: Seeing with Compassion

 

But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd. Matthew 9:36

Last year I put up a blog post on December 25th entitled "Because Christmas Isn't Always Merry..."  A reader  made some comments on it in which she talked about what a painful time of year Christmas is for some people.  She pointed out that some simply can't be "merry" or keep the tradition of celebrating with family as it's presented by the world.  This can cause real distress and depression for those people.

I hadn't really expected to post a holiday challenge this year, but recently it popped into my head that one problem with the heavy celebration schedule that many people keep is that they fail to really see those who need to be seen the most - the hurting, the lonely, the ill, the downtrodden. I've written at length about remembering the poor and touched on the hurting and lonely people in that challenge as well as in the one to simplify your holidays.  Perhaps this might seem like repeating myself, but sometimes we need to hear something from more than one angle before we really see it.

Continue reading here.

4 comments:

  1. That is one awesome post. As one that at a particular time has been down on my luck, I now try to always remember the less fortunate. I realize that you don't have to have been destitute to have compassion for the poor, but you do bring to it a different perspective, I think. One observation I would make also is that to remember people the rest of the year. Food pantries usually get well-stocked in holiday time, but in July, say, the shelves get bare. What I have done is donate (sort of like a tithe) to a local food pantry during the rest of the year when people don't always remember. At holiday time, I have a little extra for my own family and close friends. Once again, awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. This is a good idea about donating all year too. It did cross my mind as I was writing. I'm wondering, though, if that might actually be a good challenge on its own - to do good all year, not just when "it's the season". I don't know if I'll get that done this year, though. We'll see. :-)

      Delete
  2. Mary, this is excellent and a great reminder to us all. In all our busyness we forget those who we should be remembering. And when I think of how much people spend at Christmas, just imagine if they spent perhaps 1/4 less and gave that portion to others, what a difference it would make.

    Do you mind if I link to this on my Thoughtful Thursday (this week) as I think it needs to be told loud and clear :) ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo! I would be honored to have you link to it. Thank you.

      Delete