Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I Am Tired

 


(Photo taken in 2008)

Ecclesiastes 3:1-3, 6-7  To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven…a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted…a time to break down, and a time to build up…A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;  A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

This has been an extremely busy year for us, as I mentioned before.  But, it has also been a stressful year for our country in general with much ugly news and some depressing revelations.  In considering life and its variables, I’ve realized there are some things that I’m tired of.  I don’t intend to share all of them here, as some are perhaps too personal.  But, I’d like to discuss a few since some of them will affect this blog in some ways.  Please bear with me and don’t assume the worst. :-)

1) I am getting tired of keeping up with this blog.  I’m not tired of blogging in general, but keeping this updated to the extent I have has become a burden.  It is a weight that is hindering me from running the race with patience.  There are other things I feel are more important that are not getting done.  So.  It has to be adjusted so as not to be such a weight, or it will have to be laid aside.  Hebrews 12:1  Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

When something is making us weary in well doing it is a good idea to consider if there is a way to change that.  2 Thessalonians 3:13  But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.

2) This blog was not meant to supplant the Home Maker’s Corner, but I feel like it has done this.  There are things I want to write and need to write for the HMC which haven’t gotten done.  I feel that the blog has in some ways gotten in the way.  Also, there is no reason why I can’t write proper articles for the HMC and link to them from here as I’ve done in the past. Maybe I should even link to some of the older articles that might be of use.

The HMC needs some updating and restyling in some places as well.  For those who may not realize it, building and maintaining a web page is a lot more work than blogging – especially blogging through one of the blogging services that provides so much help to make it all work.

3) I want to spend more time doing things with my husband.  He works a lot of hours and I feel the need to make his off time more ours.  He is a computer programmer and I’d like to get a little more idea why it’s his hobby and job (yes, in that order).  I can understand his pleasure in building a house or finishing out a commercial building.  I’d like to see a little bit into his programming world too.  My husband has wanted to teach me CSS (cascading style sheets) and more about html, both of which would be very useful in the building of the HMC.  My brain is lazy.  It prefers to stay in its own familiar ruts.  But, sometimes it is good to “take it by the collar and give it a good shake” and put it on some new track where it can learn and grow in new ways.  I know learning CSS would do this.  And, it would give me more time with my husband. :-)

4) I’m also a bit tired of not getting some things done around here that I’d like to do.  “Needing” to blog is too often an excuse to get online which, because it’s easier to browse and “research” than to actually write, leads too often to not enough getting done. This is a weakness of my own flesh, I know.  But, rethinking how and how much I blog and where my time and energies should go is part of taking back this area of my life. 

5) It seems needful to make adjustments to see if this blog can become less of a weight and more focused.  How this will work out I’m not entirely sure yet, but I expect to make changes.  It has wandered some from the kitchen, cooking, and homemaking theme originally intended for  “The Cotton Apron”.  I also feel sometimes like there are not as many Bible studies and spiritual thoughts as there once was.

I really enjoy quilting and sewing but, truth be told, there are a lot of quilting and sewing blogs out there.  I don’t need to add my two cents.  So, the sewing posts will be greatly reduced, if not eventually eliminated, or merged back into the homemaking theme posts.  At this point I’m not projecting how often is enough.  I’m just letting go of it mentally and we’ll see what happens.

6) I also have some long term goals which have been overshadowed by the pressing needs of so many weekly blog posts.  I really want to finish the Laying Aside Weights series.  I have a handful of subjects left that seem appropriate for that.  I also want to do more “Hard Questions” here or on the HMC.  And, last but not least, Lord willing, I want to start publishing some books.  Oh, nothing unusual – mostly compilations of things I’ve already written, photo books and a collection of poems by Annie Johnson Flint. 

All these issues and goals relate entirely or considerably to my own management of time.  My husband has told me I don’t have to post so much.  I can even take a week or more off at a time.  He is right.  But, I also know that with some pruning, weeding, water and encouragement an overgrown plant can become more productive in a better way.  I feel like this blog has become overgrown and it’s time to prune it back.  Also, I’ve been allowing too many weeds of wasted computer time to grow up around it.  It’s time to use the hoe and rake and get some things out of my life.

Thanks for your patience and support at this time. :-)

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Mary~
    I have enjoyed reading your posts, and I fully understand you wanting to spend more time with your husband. I don't post a whole lot myself mostly due to time constraints.
    I think it would be a great idea to link some of your other material here! I have checked out the HMC before, and have enjoyed the articles there. I look forward to whatever you have to share.
    God bless you, and I pray you will find what works best for you and your family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement and understanding, Melanie! :-)

      Delete
  2. I can relate to this...I've been blogging for over 7 years now and it is a medium that really seems to overtake life very easily. It's a common problem among bloggers. I'm sure you'll find what fits best for your life. I think the linking articles idea is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michele! :-) I think that linking articles might help me with cleaning up some of the things I've written in the past that might need some adjusting or improving too, which is a good thing.

      Delete
  3. I totally know what you mean - which is why my blog went completely dead for about a year. I've only just started back up blogging, and I'm not committing myself to any kind of schedule - just posting when I feel like it or when time permits. Rather than making my life fit around blogging, I'm making blogging fit in my life. :) So yes - I understand and don't blame you one bit. Anything that leads us into any kind of bondage or level of stress or starts encroaching on the rest of our life is something we need to seriously assess and either eliminate or reduce.
    I'll still enjoy coming over to read *whatever* you choose to share. Enjoy your extra time *off* the computer!! (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clara! :-) I'm already actually enjoying blogging a little more now that I've given myself permission to do it differently or not do it at all. Funny that. :-)

      Delete
  4. Well, I for one enjoy reading your blog, but I know exactly what you are talking about, Ive been there & am there :) I think the computer is a wonderful tool in so many ways, yet, my I forgot what my life was like before we brought one into the home. There is so much to do on it & as of late, I am reevaluating my time on it & what do on it. For me its not so much blogging, because I really do not write most of my posts, but its other things that I do on the web. I am making sure it doesnt take over my Bible reading, when I have that in order then I dont mind blogging so much. I just feel for me that anything that takes over my family life or the Lord is sin in my life, but thats just me.

    Anyway, I get it, I am with you on this! However, I really do enjoy your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for understanding. Computers and online time can certainly take over our lives if we let them! I agree in general that we shouldn't allow anything to take over our lives, but from personal experience I know that sometimes it's impossible to avoid when we have no or little control of a thing. It's the things we can control, such as computer time, which need to be watched closely. :-)

      I do intend to keep the blog going at this point, Lord willing. I just want to manage it better and not worry about putting up posts if I don't have anything ready or "time" to do it. :-)

      Delete