Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Friday, November 28, 2014

Sew Happy Friday – How Batik Fabric Is Made

 

I wasn’t terribly impressed with batiks at first.  Then I ordered some for a potential project.  When I ironed them after pre-washing them I discovered how gorgeous they are.  I will say that I’m particular about which ones I like, but this is true of ordinary prints as well.  We all have our own tastes in fabric. :-)

One thing that has been a bit of a hindrance to me in buying batiks is the price.  After watching how these lovely fabrics are made, I don’t feel that I can complain any more.  This is an amazing process that still involves people working very closely with the fabric, dyes and design!  It is really like owning a piece of artwork when you realize all the hands on work that goes into making it.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. This was very interesting! I had no idea how much human labour went into batik production. Thank you for sharing this video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. :-) I was really impressed too. I had no clue.

      Delete
  2. The children and I really enjoyed watching this one, too! :) Nothing like seeing how things are made to add to our education!! When you consider how much work goes into this process, and the end cost of the fabric for the consumer, it's pretty sad to realise how little those workers probably earn - after taxes, income for the owner of the business, importation and the marking up that is done by stores etc, the workers must earn pittance! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering how labor intensive each swath of fabric is, I agree with you. That's one reason I need to not object to the prices for batiks!

      Delete