Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Are You Grieving? It's OK to Make Holiday Changes


Worth repeating.

Recently I've had a bad case of writer's block. Also, my extended family had more sad life changes to deal with in October, one of which was one of my mom's brothers unexpectedly going to heaven. And a dear friend's mother also got her promotion to glory earlier this year. So, it felt like maybe I should post this again this week. I apologize I didn't get it up on Sunday in anticipation of Thanksgiving in the U.S. This was originally published in 2021. 


Romans 12:15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.

1 Thessalonians 4:13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning
them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

Dear Friend, 

So many people have lost loved ones over the past two years. The numbers are so high that it sometimes seems impossible. I was talking with a sweet older lady in our church assembly and she was remarking about this, and since she is in her 80s I know it isn't just my imagination.

Holidays, birthdays, and special family events can be especially hard when you have a fresh grief. Well, honestly, they can be hard even when the grief isn't all that fresh any more.

Thanksgiving is my family's biggest holiday of the year. Last year (2020) was our first one without my mom with us. It was hard, but this year was harder. Last year we changed things up quite a bit. My husband had to work most of Thanksgiving week, including the day itself. Some family was in town the week before and so we decided to celebrate then instead. Since we were having dinner on another day, we decided to get take out from a nice restaurant. It was Brazilian, so it was not at all like our traditional Thanksgiving meal. I think we had a homemade dessert or two. I chose not to move the table away from the window so that the table would seem full with five of us. It was a hard, but it went well.

This year was different...

Continue Reading.

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciate this post, Mary. My brother died in June and my mom died almost a month ago, so this is very timely for me. I know there are going to be a lot of new normals to get used to and navigate. Sending you hugs.♥ I hope you and your family are doing well and that 2022 will be a good year for you all. All of my family is recovering from covid, so I'm thankful and blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, I am so sorry to hear that you have lost two family members so close to you. May God's comfort and peace give you strength. I'm glad that my letter was a help to you. Thank the Lord for that. ((Hugs)) to you as well, and God grant that your family all continue to improve and fully recover.

      Delete