Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Sew Happy Saturday – Organizing to See what You Have

 

Here is one way to organize some of those loose bits and pieces in the sewing room.  This can be done by recycling or reusing large plastic jars or tubs which came with food in them.  My husband likes to buy pretzels at Costco (warehouse store), so they come in large quantities – meaning they also come in large containers which happen to be clear plastic.  Be forewarned, though – pickle or sauerkraut jars might make your finery and fabric smell, well…odd. :-)  It’s hard to get some smells out.

(No, those fabric scraps are not perfectly organized by color.) :-)

One nice thing about this method of storage is that it’s easier to see what you have at hand, and find just the right scrap, width of ribbon or eyelet that you want.  You could also store other items such as zippers, bias tape, etc.  Buttons could be separated by color into smaller jars.

A word of warning:  If you have a sunny sewing room, or if you have florescent lights that you use often, and you cannot close the containers away in a closet or other dark storage area, I don’t recommend this method.  Light will fade colored fabrics, ribbons, laces, etc. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a really good idea, and I can see it would be very useful. For me personally, having to go through the jars to find the piece I wanted would drive me mad, but on the other hand, it's a good way to be able to see a lot of what's in there without scrambling through a box. Hmm... What to do! I've been just recently trying to sort through my notions etc, trying to find the best possible way to organise them and make them easier to see and access to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have a good point. I think I need to do a second part on this and make some more observations and suggestions. Maybe I can get that done soon. :-)

      Delete