Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Sew Much for That

 


This photo has absolutely nothing to do with this post –
except that I liked it because it was peaceful and cheerful.
If you continue to read you will understand why today, that is enough. :-)

Yet another weekend is going by without a Sew Happy Saturday post here.  Last week was OK to miss.  I don’t remember my reason, it has skipped my mind, along with a lot of other things.  But, I’m allowed to skip the sewing post once in awhile because I gave myself permission not to post one every week.  :-)

I had illusions of making a quick, fun project today and getting a post up about it.  Who was I kidding?  My mom and I canned 8 pints of pepper relish today – with several breaks and a couple naps thrown in for good measure  (an act of kindness to my husband).  Now, as I write, I’m getting dinner.  OK, cooking the chicken.  Mom is making spinach, and the rest is leftovers to be added to the pan at the last minute.  (Ah…leftovers, how I love thee now that I keep house myself!)  My husband is reassembling our reluctant washing machine to see if it will work for us for a little longer.

Do I sound a little overwhelmed by life right now?  I should because this week has seemed rather overwhelming to me….well, this month…this year!  What in the world happened to it?  We’re already at the end of May?!?!  What??

In January my Mom had hip replacement surgery.  That was all that happened in January, if you know what I mean.  In February we were helping her with her therapy and I was surviving the winter – as usual.  March was focused quite a bit on getting ready for family to visit in April – family we hadn’t seen in almost 5 years.  So, yeah, it was a big deal!  In April they were here – for a week and a half – and yet it seemed like two days and the whole month all at the same time.  Also, mixed into March and April was yard and garden work and a lot of other things.  Well, May has been a little tamer, but can we talk about catching up – just a little?  Maybe? :-)

And, then there’s June.  In June we are expecting more family to visit.  We have a wedding among our friends, which wouldn’t be a big deal except we’re committed to help – in a small way.  Also there are things I want(ed) to sew for her!  SO much.  Argh.  We also have some church and friends’ activities we wish to attend.  And, this isn’t even mentioning much about all the chores that really, really need to get done!

Now I realize that to some of you this totally misses the mark for “overwhelming”.  I know.  A lot of people live much busier lives than we do.  But, if you only knew how little I’m used to this, and how really unable I would’ve been to do all this a few years ago…

At the same time, with all that and the regular everyday things crammed in, I’ve read too many books, spent too much time reading online and watching many quilting videos, and who knows what else.  Writing…oh, yeah.  I’ve been writing.  And actually doing a little sewing.  Sigh….but the wasted time…  How can we waste so much time right in the midst of feeling so terribly busy?  I haven’t figured that one out yet.

But, when it all comes down to it, after the close scare we got last week about very severe storms here (which the Lord so kindly vetoed!), I have been trying to refocus.  You know, thinking about Moore, Oklahoma (and Granbury and Cleburne, Texas), and thinking about the possibility of it coming here, well, I just want to try to DO the things that are important in the eternal picture more and leave behind the things that don’t count – lay aside more weights that are dragging me down unnecessarily.  We all have weights that we have to carry, so to speak, but I want to think more again in terms of that laying aside of weights that I was focused on last year.  It’s time for a little revival and reorganizing of thoughts.  Maybe I’ll even go back and reread those posts myself.  I never did feel like I finished that series properly.

Yesterday I did decide to lay aside some of the “Very-Urgent-Things” that were nagging to be done, and instead I went and did some other things that needed to be done that would give me more joy (and some pleasant outdoor exercise).  They were the sort of jobs that give a sense of accomplishment when you finish, with not so much of the “Oh-good-I-get-to-do-this-chore-again-right-away-why-did-I-bother” feeling.  (“Forget the vacuuming, I’m going out to prune that photinia bush!”)  Guess what?  I felt a lot better at the end of the day!  And, while “digging” in the garage, I found various things that three different family members have been asking about for some time – things that were in “The Pile” in our garage!  So, I had the added blessing of making other people happy too.  Wow.  Does that feel nice, or what? :-)

Another small tip I actually remembered to put into use this week (thanks to the friend who was praying for me) – when you feel overwhelmed and like you just can’t manage it, instead of crying or getting angry, which may be easy but may have difficult complications, find something that tickles you (like this crazy run-on sentence) – even if you have to make it up – and then just laugh out loud! :-)  Stress relief does not require anger or crying to vent.  Sometimes a good long laugh or singing at the top of your lungs will really do the trick!  And, if you have kids, the great thing is that they will probably join you, even if they are laughing at your maniacal laughing/singing. ;-)

And, in case you didn’t catch it, this post is a steam letting rant cleverly disguised as (feeble) humor. ;-)  But, since dinner is now ready, it’s time to go clear off the table so that I can set it.  My parents are coming to eat with us since Mom is making part of the meal, so I do need to make the room for a proper meal – that’s a good thing tonight.  Once my husband proofreads this for me (and eliminates the parts that are really too nonsensical to publish), I’ll try to get this posted before mid-night.  Maybe.  If it’s important enough. ;-)

How about you?  Has life been just a bit too overwhelming this week, spring, year?  Let’s see if we can reconsider some things and try to simplify and clarify our lives a little – lay aside some weights (Again!) – as we head into June, shall we? :-)  I double-dog dare you. ;-)

James 1:23-25  For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

1 comment:

  1. Some things can be very overwhelming. I got overwhelmed with my health issues and my store/orders recently and so I cut everything right back and took time out just to do fun things - I spent one afternoon helping Danny build lego, for example. Having a break and doing something really different helped me SO much with my stress and anxiety! :)

    ReplyDelete