Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Why We Are not "Quiverfull" - A New Series





Ephesians 4:14-15  That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Recently I saw a report that zika virus has been found in Texas (presumably "in the wild").  Although I don't know if this is a confirmed report, I have expected this for awhile.  It made me think about the issues surrounding the Quiverfull movement and the concern I already had about what they would decide to do among themselves about this very serious problem.

I honestly believe that the overweening zeal of some of the them at least will lead them to plow on ahead with their self-proclaimed mission to "trust God with their families."  I can well imagine some claiming that if God wants them to have a baby with microcephaly then they will "just accept it."  Of course, if such a thing happened inadvertently obviously it would be wrong to kill the baby in the womb (abort it).  The thing that I'm concerned about is that in their typical zeal against all forms of birth control and the supposed urgency of making lots of "arrows" (babies) for "the war on culture", that the people within the Quiverfull belief system will not even consider to possibility of postponing further pregnancies, even in areas of elevated risk.

So, it seemed like a good time to write an article which I'd already been planning to do.  Not surprisingly, it turned out to be quite a bit more work and content than I expected, so I'm making it into a series.  I realize that someone will undoubtedly be offended that I would deal with this subject as I am, but sometimes it is necessary to offend some in order to warn the many of a serious error or problem in the church.  When any group is teaching something that cannot be supported by scripture or is taught by the misuse of God's word, it is time to point it out and give scriptural reasons why we object.

Galatians 4:16-18  Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth? They zealously affect you, but not well; yea, they would exclude you, that ye might affect them.  But it is good to be zealously affected always in a good thing...

Here is the link to the main page of the series:  Why We Are not Quiverfull
This contains an introduction and some basic thoughts.  If you are not familiar with what Quiverfull is, I recommend that you start here.

And here is the link to PART 1:  Reasons We Are not Quiverfull, PART 1
1. Quiverfull is based on the misapplication and misuse of scripture.
This section deals with some of the favorite Bible texts that are used to "prove" that it is "wrong" to limit pregnancies in any way.  It also discusses the heavy influence of Dominionism on the Quiverfull movement as a whole.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! I live next to Texas. That is really scary. What percentage of American women are Quiverfull? I think it is a very small percentage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know the percentage of American women - it would be quite small. But, this is spreading through Christendom, and is even more likely to be found among more conservative Christian groups. The very basic aspects of the ideology are being embraced by people who claim they don't follow it, so it is really hard to say how wide-spread it actually is. "A little leaven leveaneth the whole lump", though, so it will doubtless continue to spread. I know that there are followers in Australia and Britain, and I'm sure it's spread to other places as well.

      Delete