Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Worth Reading – More Links for Your Consideration



"Woman Reading In A Garden" by Mary Cassatt

Clear back in January I thought I would start posting links that I thought were worth reading.  I don’t think I posted any more after that.  Sigh.  I have big ideas but very poor follow through sometimes. 

Disclaimer:  Please keep in mind that just because I use a link from a specific site or author it does not mean that I necessarily approve all their writings or of them personally.  And, as always, I disclaim other versions of the Bible which may say things very differently from the one I use - the KJV.  (I am shocked sometimes at the changes some versions make, but that's a subject for another time.)

-----------------------------

Spiritual Issues

Why Are There So Many Superheroes? – A very useful and thoughtful article on why we have so many superheroes.  Did you ever stop to think that it might be a supstitution for the real Savior?  This does give one pause to think.

The Potty Humor Problem – This blogger talks about the very real and ligitamate problem with potty humor in childrens’ books and media.  I ran across some of this last year.  After some friends talked about how much they liked certain cartoon characters, I looked up some video clips online and was unimpressed with the potty humor involved.  My husband and I determined that we would not be buying anything with those characters it for our nieces or nephews, or anyone else for that matter. 
I remember years ago when my brother and I were in our teens and a ceartain Christian man we looked up to had been telling a lot of potty jokes at a gathering where we were present.  We went home, and thinking they were funny and must be ok if so-and-so told them, we repeated them to our dad.  He was quite disappointed and gave us some instruction in not lowering our talk to that level of vulgarity.  The author of this blog post points out some good reasons to avoid these things.  1 Timothy 4:12  Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

-----------------------------

Home, Nature and Health

Outdoor Adventures In Michigan July 2014 – There are some beautiful photographs of Michigan here.  I was born in Western Michigan and lived there at various times, amounting to quite a few years.  I have visited some of the locations represented here and have fond memories of them.

Experimenting in the Kitchen with Food Coloring – One bloggers experiments with creating her own natural food coloring for frosting.  This is inspiring for those who try to avoid using chemical based food coloring.


What Are Infantile Spasms and How to Recognize the Symptoms – This video briefly explains what Infantile Spasms are, how to recognize them, and what to do about getting help.  Some friends of ours have had to address this health problem with their toddler this summer.  Thankfully, they noticed the problem and sought out help quickly.  Infantile Spasms Awareness – This is a slightly longer and more informative video from the Epilepsy Foundation of Metropolitan New York.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for featuring my post "The Potty Humor Problem." I look forward to checking out some of your other features.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I was glad to find it so that I could share it with my readers, though it did take awhile. :-) Thanks for dealing with the problem.

      Delete