Hello and welcome!

Welcome!
This blog is an extension of The Home Maker's Corner. Regarding use of content: please see "the fine print" at the bottom of this page.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Australian Memories – Laughing Kookaburras

 

Taken at the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary Brisbane, Australia.

I think this was the kookaburra's nest,
which had possibly originally been a termite nest
(based on something I read).

A closer view inside an enclosure.
Notice the blue ring around its eye.

There was a nesting pair near my brother’s house.  Since we slept with the windows open most of the time we were there, they woke my husband and me very early most mornings (before dawn) and once in the middle of the night with their crazy laughter.  You would have thought it was a bunch of wild monkeys. :-) 

Here you will find a sound file of their “laughing” on the right hand side of the page as well as general information.

No comments:

Post a Comment